On 2014-04-16, 2:25 PM, Benjamin Smedberg wrote:
On 4/16/2014 2:18 PM, Richard Barnes wrote:

I don't know about "problematic", but ISTM that it might be useless.
If people disable sendBeacon in an effort to avoid tracking, then the
trackers can always just test and polyfill with XHR.  If you really
want "disable tracking", you're going to have to do a lot more, and
probably break a lot of the web.

Oh, I figured the pref flip would leave the sendBeacon API visible, it
just wouldn't *do* anything. That would be a lot more effective than
completely hiding it.

This is very similar to the discussion about <a ping>. Can we enhance
privacy for the users who care a lot by implementing the ping, getting
sites to stop using redirectors for metrics, and allowing some users to
disable the ping?

There are two problems for that idea: one is that it's not possible for Gecko at the call site to determine whether a beacon is meant for tracking purposes or not, so if we do what you suggest we would potentially be dropping important beacons on the floor. The other problem is that if we tie making sendBeacon a no-op with something like DNT, or if the preference that we expose for this purpose gains any popularity, the trackers would fall back to the existing ways of tracking our users.

Cheers,
Ehsan