On Wed, Apr 16, 2014 at 7:52 AM, Benjamin Smedberg
<benja...@smedbergs.us> wrote:
> On 4/16/2014 9:30 AM, Richard Barnes wrote:
>> Allows pages to send a "beacon" HTTP request.  Beacons are allowed a
>> limited subset of HTTP (only a few content types), and the JS cannot receive
>> the content of the response.  However, beacon requests will survive after
>> the page is unloaded, removing the need for synchronous XHRs in onunload
>> handlers.
>
> Are beacons primarily meant as tracking devices, or is it also meant as a
> way to persist unsaved page state when the user navigates?
>
> I can't imagine that there is any reasonable way to expose UI prefs
> specifically about beacons, but should we disable beacons by default if the
> user has do-not-track enabled? Or will we leave a hidden pref so that
> privacy-sensitive extensions could disable beacon functionality if they
> wished?

I would expect that gathering telemetry will be at least as common as
doing user tracking. But I would also expect that websites will do
things like saving user state when the user leaves a page.

So I don't think tying this to do-not-track would be good.

/ Jonas