On 2014-08-27, 2:23 PM, Gian-Carlo Pascutto wrote:
On 27/08/2014 17:30, Ted Mielczarek wrote:

I think our commitment to the Express versions should be "ensure it
works with whatever Microsoft makes it easy to get a hold of". We should
fix bugs that impact developers' ability to build with the versions of
the toolchain we support, but I haven't seen that be a huge problem in
practice.
(I'm not sure why you particularly care about SP2 vs. SP3
here, we should just make sure we build with the latest version.)

There's compelling advantages to be compiling with the exact same
toolchain as on the buildbots: you won't end up writing code that the
buildbot barfs on because it's on a newer/older toolchain, and if you
have a failure on try that might be compiler related, the odds are
bigger that you will be able to reproduce the exact issue locally if the
compiler matches to begin with.

These issues aren't common, so indeed they're not a huge problem in
practice, but they're still nice-to-haves.

Are we building with SP2 on our buildbots? If yes, we should probably try to switch to SP3 as soon as we can.