On 9/21/14 6:00 AM, James Graham wrote:
In the longer term, one might hope that bugfixes will produce new
testcases that could be upstreamed, and Servo might need a proper
testsuite to achieve interoperability. Having said that, Servo has so
far not produced a significant number of tests, which has been a little
surprising as they have been implementing some of the core pieces of the
platform which are indeed under-tested. I suspect this is because the
skills, interests and goals of the team are around producing code rather
than tests. For people making small contributions it would also be
rather off-putting to be told "no you can't land this fix that makes
Wikipedia look better without a comprehensive testsuite for the relevant
feature". However if we as an organisation really care about testing
core platform features which already have an implementation in gecko,
one way to achieve that would be to give someone working on Servo the
explicit job of creating testsuites for the big-ticket features they
implement as they implement them.

We land simple reftests whenever we fix bugs in Servo in order to prevent regressions. Our big-ticket items tend to be tested by comprehensive reftests that test many things at the same time (e.g. the border test).

On the Servo team we don't have the manpower to dedicate one member to writing comprehensive test suites. Our research goals are oriented toward proving that parallel layout works on the Web, which means, at this time, showing that real, popular Web sites look correct and demonstrate parallel speedups. Standards work, including writing test suites, is useful, but has to be secondary to proving the viability of the project.

Patrick