On Fri, Feb 20, 2015 at 3:20 AM, Jonas Sicking <jo...@sicking.cc> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 19, 2015 at 7:11 PM, James Long <longs...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Note however that people in the native app world believe that it's
>> very important that whatever applies the animations is run on the same
>> thread that handles input. Otherwise it's very easy for animations to
>> get out-of-sync.
>
> Does that mean also doing the painting/compositing on the thread that
> handles input?

Not necessarily, the important part is that when the user makes a
gesture, an animation is updated with the event as input, and the
layout or other properties are changed, all on the same thread. It can
be actually painted on a separate thread. The state of the render tree
just needs to be updated in sync with the user input.

As Anne mentioned, when React Native comes out next month I would
highly recommend looking deep into it. They have a lot of good reasons
for choosing that architecture, and is something we could think about
working towards (long-term). I know the team personally and I can get
someone here in touch with them.