On Fri, Feb 20, 2015 at 8:11 AM, Julien Wajsberg <jwajsb...@mozilla.com> wrote:
> Le 20/02/2015 04:25, Robert O'Callahan a écrit :
>> On Fri, Feb 20, 2015 at 4:02 PM, James Long <longs...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>     Personally I think what we *really* need to be working on is making
>>     all of the DOM APIs asynchronous. That's what Servo needs anyway.
>>     That's a step in the right direction for #3, and we can see much more
>>     we can get out of the main thread after that.
>>
>> I don't see how making DOM APIs asynchronous really helps you achieve #3.
>> There are some specific cases where custom layouts need to repeatedly
>> measure content, that currently rely on APIs that trigger multiple
>> sequential synchronous reflows, which would be better served by less
>> synchronous APIs. We have nebulous plans for addressing that (it's not as
>> easy as "make everything a Promise"). But those aren't the main problems
>> mobile Web apps face right now AFAIK.
>
> In Firefox OS development, this is part of the biggest issues we have
> for very specific tasks.

To be clear, we're not talking about making the whole DOM async, right?

I.e. we're not talking about adding an async element.appendChild() or
an async element.innerHTML?

What we're specifically talking about are async functions for getting
layout information? So async element.getComputedStyle() and
element.getClientRects()?

/ Jonas