On Friday, April 24, 2015 at 1:03:00 AM UTC-4, butrus...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Monday, April 13, 2015 at 4:57:58 PM UTC+2, Richard Barnes wrote:
> > There's pretty broad agreement that HTTPS is the way forward for the web.
> > In recent months, there have been statements from IETF [1], IAB [2], W3C
> > [3], and even the US Government [4] calling for universal use of
> > encryption, which in the case of the web means HTTPS.
> >
> > In order to encourage web developers to move from HTTP to HTTPS, I would
> > like to propose establishing a deprecation plan for HTTP without security.
> > Broadly speaking, this plan would entail  limiting new features to secure
> > contexts, followed by gradually removing legacy features from insecure
> > contexts.  Having an overall program for HTTP deprecation makes a clear
> > statement to the web community that the time for plaintext is over -- it
> > tells the world that the new web uses HTTPS, so if you want to use new
> > things, you need to provide security.  Martin Thomson and I drafted a
> > one-page outline of the plan with a few more considerations here:
> >
> > https://docs.google.com/document/d/1IGYl_rxnqEvzmdAP9AJQYY2i2Uy_sW-cg9QI9ICe-ww/edit?usp=sharing
> >
> > Some earlier threads on this list [5] and elsewhere [6] have discussed
> > deprecating insecure HTTP for "powerful features".  We think it would be a
> > simpler and clearer statement to avoid the discussion of which features are
> > "powerful" and focus on moving all features to HTTPS, powerful or not.
> >
> > The goal of this thread is to determine whether there is support in the
> > Mozilla community for a plan of this general form.  Developing a precise
> > plan will require coordination with the broader web community (other
> > browsers, web sites, etc.), and will probably happen in the W3C.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > --Richard
>

> I think this is very very bad idea. There are many resources which are not
> worth being protected by HTTPS. Moreover, it doesn't make sense e.g. for
> resources in the local network. And there are devices which CANNOT use HTTPS,
> e.g. a webserver on a 8-bit MCU (like
> http://tuxgraphics.org/electronics/200611/article06111.shtml).
>
> So, please, let it be the responsibility of the webmaster and/or the user
> whether to use HTTP or HTTPS!

To be clear, we are not proposing to remove that choice, only limiting the set
of web features that non-HTTPS pages can use.

There are also plenty of small platforms that can support HTTPS.  Slightly
bigger than what you're talking about, but still small.
http://hypernephelist.com/2014/08/19/https_on_arduino_yun.html

--Richard