On Tuesday, April 21, 2015 at 2:56:21 PM UTC+2, Gervase Markham wrote:
> Very briefly:
>
> On 21/04/15 12:43, Roger Hågensen wrote:
> > 1. User downloads a browser (be it Firefox, Chrome, Opera, etc.)
> > securely (https?) from the official download location. 2. Upon
> > installation a private key is created for that browser installation
> > and signed by the browser's certificate server.
>
> This makes checking in with the browser maker a necessary prerequisite
> for secure connections. That has problems.

How so? Certificates have to be checked today as well (if they have been
revocated or not).
Also, it would only be at installation time for the user.
The server itself would heck if it's been revocated or not.
StartSSL uses client certificates for logins, so does several other sites.

If you an have a client-server connection where only the server has a
certifiate then the opposite is also possible, where the client-server
connection is secured with only the client having a certificate.

> > 3. When the user
> > later connect to a server that support automatic encryption, the
> > browser sends a (public) session key that the server should use, this
> > key is signed with the browser installation key, the server can
> > verify the signature and that this key is not modified by checking
> > the certificate server.
>
> What you just built is a unique identifier for every browser which can
> be tracked across sites.

How can this be tracked? This can be tracked just like any other client
certificate can be tracked currently, no difference.

> > 4. The server exchanges it's session key with
> > the browser. 5. A secure/encrypted connection is now possible.
>
> Except that the browser has not yet identified the site. It is important
> for the user to check the site is genuine before the user sends any
> important information to it.
>
> > The benefit is that there is no server side certificates needed to
> > establish a encrypted connection.
>
> They are needed if the user wants to have any confidence in who they are
> actually talking to.

DNSSEC exists and should help mitigate who you are talking to issue.
Also certificates have been falsified (didn't Mozilla just untrust all
certificates by a certain certificate issuer recently that allowed fake
Google.com certificates to be made?)

Also with certificates like the free ones from StartSSL the only site identity
you can see is "identity not verified" yet the connection is still HTTPS. Just
look at https://skuldwyrm.no/ which uses a free StartSSL certificate.
Do note however that this .no domain do have DNSSEC enabled (does all latest
browsers support that?)
So one can be relatively sure to be talking to skuldwyrm.no without https.

What I'm proposing is no worse than automatic domain verified certificates
currently are.
The important thing is that the connection is encrypted here.
Not whether the site is trusted or not.
Heck, there are sites with a "green url bar" that do rip people off, so trust
or ensuring you do'nt get fooled is not automagic with any type of HTTPS in
that regard.