On Wed, Aug 12, 2015, at 03:56 AM, SciFi wrote:

> Hello,
>

> I need to give my 2–coins–worth on this topic, please.
>

> If Mozilla decides to drop the 32–bit Mac users,
> then also drop the 32–bit Windows users
> and the 32–bit Linux users
> etc etc etc etc etc.
>
> I bet you’d hear a HUGE CRY from these other groups.

Dropping 32-bit Linux would be a totally reasonable proposition.
Dropping 32-bit Windows would not--we haven't shipped an official 64-bit
Windows release yet, and a huge percentage of our users are using 32-bit
Windows, so they can't run a 64-bit Firefox. It's not the same issue at
all. Apple has shipped support for 64-bit applications since OS X 10.5,
and has actually dropped support for 32-bit in recent releases.

> So I don’t want us poor Mac users to be slighted, either.
>
> I guess I need to be their ‘voice’ in this discussion.
>
> So I request Mozilla to at least continue supporting the 32–bit Mac users
> until
> and only until
> a third–party group can deal out working code for them
> as mentioned earlier in this thread.
> This will also be applicable to other Firefox–based apps
> that are presently available for Mac users
> such as Thunderbird, SeaMonkey,
> etc.

Sorry, but that's just not how things work. If someone wants to maintain
a 32-bit Firefox build, like how Tenfourfox is maintaining a PPC Firefox
build, that's fine, but it doesn't mean Mozilla should have to keep
things working until such a group emerges.

> I use this iMac in 32–bit mode whenever it’s available within each app.
> There’s no need to try 64–bit mode when the hardware is designed with no
> more than 4–GB RAM entirely.
> (That’s the main reason the app called SixtyFour deals with,
>  <http://getsixtyfour.com/>
>  further explanations at that site)

So this transition wouldn't affect you then, you could simply run
Firefox as a 64-bit app. Just because you *choose* to run apps in 32-bit
mode doesn't mean you *have* to. I am sympathetic to users that can't
afford to upgrade their hardware, but "I want to run apps in 32-bit
mode" isn't a compelling argument.

Right now the best data we have shows that only 1.5% of our users are
running 32-bit Mac builds, so I think it's reasonable to drop support
for those users once we have the other blocking issues resolved.

-Ted