On Wed, Aug 19, 2015 at 3:18 AM, Gavin Sharp <ga...@gavinsharp.com> wrote:

> It's possible this bug was being confused with bug 1195030.

That seems likely, yes. Being responsible for this particular regression, I
can say that neither is it at all related to the other bugs mentioned, nor
can it reasonably be interpreted as a sign of decreasing attention to
quality: the patch I landed triggered a preexisting bug in a way that was
pretty much unforeseeable and, because we didn't know about it, wasn't
covered by our test suite. While the result was particularly bad - and I
apologize for that - I don't see what I could've done better to catch it
before landing.

Also keep in mind that we have hundreds of CPU hours of automated tests
running before changes land in mozilla-central and can become part of
Nightly. If you add new functionality without proper tests, shame on you;
if you did your due diligence and still have the bad luck of introducing a
new bug - be lucky that we have the Nightly channel.

(From four or so years of experience running Nightly as my main browser, I
can say that every now and again things seem to come to a head, with
multiple annoying issues occurring in a short time frame. I'm pretty sure
that that's always [or almost always] purely by chance, and reading too
much into it isn't warranted. Neither does it make sense to pat ourselves
on the shoulder too much in the stretches of unusual stability we also have
on the Nightly channel.)

till

Gavin