On 2015-10-23 6:00 PM, R Kent James wrote:
On 10/23/2015 2:42 PM, Ehsan Akhgari wrote:

Firefox hg repos will adapt to their changes, so the Thunderbird hg
repos will adapt to changes.

That doesn't answer my question.

No, but it does address that issue that you brought up, whether
discussions of other major directions for Thunderbird (branching,
Electron) have a bearing on whether hg (and mozilla-central) makes sense
for Thunderbird. My point is our position is no different than the
position of Firefox.

It's totally different than Firefox. No matter what code changes we make to Firefox, it will be built from the code in m-c. That's not true today for Thunderbird.

Let me rephrase.  Are Thunderbird and SeaMonkey committed towards long
term maintenance of their code, should it be moved into
mozilla-central?  That is the bare minimum necessary (but not
sufficient) condition for having this conversation.

If you want a yes/no answer, the answer is "yes" (for Thunderbird, I
cannot speak for Seamonkey). But I doubt if my personal "yes" is
sufficient, which is why I gave some details on concrete actions that we
are taking to develop the resources to maintain our code. If my personal
"yes" is not sufficient, and my comments on planning are not helpful,
what would be helpful to gauge our commitment?

Hmm, I'm having difficulty reconciling what you're saying above with this email from two days ago <https://mail.mozilla.org/pipermail/tb-planning/2015-October/004141.html>. What happens if Thunderbird decides on option 3 listed there (move away from using Gecko to another framework) and the code lives in m-c? Do you mean that the code in m-c will be made to work with another framework? Or that code would be abandoned the new Thunderbird will be developed in another repository? Or something else?

Note that when options such as what I quoted above are still on the table, it seems like the discussion as to whether the code needs to live in m-c is premature.