On 10/23/2015 2:22 PM, Bobby Holley wrote:
That may be a reason for the people working on the build system to refactor
it without consideration for Thunderbird. That may sound heartless, but it
is the current directive from the organization that is paying us to work on
m-c.

Whether or not Mozilla should change that directive is a separate
discussion. But as it stands, the only reason Thunderbird can possibly
stand in the way of changes to Firefox is if developers are bucking the
"ignore Thunderbird" directive to some degree.

bholley

You have very well expressed the fundamental tension that makes these discussions difficult: many MoCo staff are in the untenable position of feeling they need to not "be heartless", or write off Thunderbird's 25 million users, by maintaining at least a minimum base level of support for Thunderbird. To do so they are 'bucking the "ignore Thunderbird" directive', or as BDS put it, "we don't *want* core contributors to spend time on comm-central".

On behalf of 25 million Thunderbird users (and Mozillians), I'd like to thank those of you who have bucked the directives. I can assure you that those of us who are maintaining Thunderbird also feel the tension. What reasonable choice do we and you have? To just suddenly cut off access to Thunderbird to those people? We consider ourselves to be loyal supporters of the Mozilla brand by supporting Thunderbird, and I hope those of you in MoCo who occasionally need to support Thunderbird can understand that.

If you are one of the people proposing a heartless ignoring of everything Thunderbird, let's talk about ways that we can keep Thunderbird viable with the least effort on the part of your team. The last public word on Thunderbird from Mozilla is still that Mozilla is committed to stability for Thunderbird users. If Thunderbird needs to migrate away from some Mozilla service, let's talk about that.

Let's do whatever we reasonably can to reduce the contradiction imposed on certain MoCo staff, who feel they should keep Thunderbird viable and yet also can do nothing to support it.

:rkent
Chair, Thunderbird Project