On Friday, December 18, 2015 at 12:17:42 PM UTC-5, Andrea Marchesini wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> This week I landed a set of patches to introduce 'about:profiles'.
> This page shows the list of existing profiles and gives the possibility to
> create new ones, delete them, rename them, change the default one.
>
> I wanted to work on this feature because I think having multiple profiles
> and manage them with a simple UI is extremely useful and it's important for
> web developers who want to test a websites with different logins, people
> who care about privacy and want to have different profiles for different
> use-case, and so on.
>
> This page/feature is not meant to be a replacement of containers:
> containers have a completely different workflow, it's a major feature of
> firefox and I want to see it enabled by default on nightly :)
>
> I also landed a replacement of the existing ProfileManager, built on top of
> about:profiles: instead having a XUL UI, we show a XUL browser element
> rendering |about:profiles?manage|. This new profile manager offers the same
> features of the previous one.
>
> There are still a couple of open issues, and maybe more will come. But I'm
> working on them and I'm having good feedback.

Hi Andrea,

This looks like a promising effort to improve profile management.

I work on the on the Firefox UX team and I do have some concerns about the
current design.

Can you tell us some more about next phases of this work before it would go
into the product?

Have you consulted anyone from the Firefox front-end or Firefox UX team about
this already?

Thanks!
- Stephen