On Mon, Apr 25, 2016 at 11:17 PM, Martin Thomson <m...@mozilla.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 26, 2016 at 4:10 PM, Xidorn Quan <quanxunz...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Could we probably restrict it to non-release builds (aurora and nightly)
>> rather than restrict them to debug builds only? Debug builds are harder to
>> get, and are slow.
>
> That was suggested, but we decided against it in bug 1188657.  I think
> that we'd be happy to land a patch that restored this if there was
> enough demand.  Maybe I'm unusual, but I just run debug builds when I
> want to investigate this sort of thing.

I don't think that we should expect web developers to ever run debug
builds. I've never heard of one that does.

Not even addon developers run debug builds from my understanding. I've
been told multiple times that NS_ASSERTION and MOZ_ASSERT are useless
as tools for deprecating functions from addon developers since they
just don't see them.

Limiting this to aurora builds might make the most sense here since
that's what we're pushing as the build that developers should use.

/ Jonas