On Fri, May 13, 2016 at 11:42 PM, Benjamin Smedberg
<benja...@smedbergs.us> wrote:
> I am talking about requiring SSE2. That is a larger (but still quite small)
> population, but the upside of being able to turn on SSE2 optimizations by
> default is an important benefit. I've discussed and confirmed this with
> Firefox product management.
>
> So yes, the plan of record is to require SSE2 starting in Firefox 49, and I
> will update the tracking bugs to reflect that.

Excellent! Thank you! Yay for being able to use the vanilla Rust CPU
targeting config going forward.

For clarification: Does this decision apply to 32-bit x86 Linux as
well? (It would be sad to have to supply and maintain non-SSE2 x86
code paths just for Linux.)

On Wed, May 11, 2016 at 5:01 AM, Robert Strong <rstr...@mozilla.com> wrote:
> The majority of this involves getting whether the CPU supports SSE. The app
> update part involves inserting the value into the url.
>
> Having said that, I've already started looking at this today. It would be
> good to know whether this info will be needed on other platforms at some
> point as well.

Regardless of what the answer is to the question above about requiring
SSE2 on Linux, it's safe to assume that the Linux updater, too, is
going to need to filter on SSE2 availability at some point.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivo...@hsivonen.fi