On Fri, Sep 23, 2016, at 10:20 AM, Ehsan Akhgari wrote:
> On 2016-09-23 8:49 AM, Gijs Kruitbosch wrote:
> > Then this enables me to answer Ehsan's question. These are the builds
> > I've recently tried using (e.g. when debugging intermittents in VMs
> > because then I don't need to set up too much of a build env) and they're
> > still very slow.
>
> Unfortunately I don't think we can do debug builds that are faster than
> that.  It's possible that the debugging checks that we perform in the
> cases you're trying to use the browser in are just prohibitively too
> expensive.  :(

If someone had time, it might be interesting to profile something that
feels slow in an --enable-debug --enable-optimize build and see if
anything stands out. These builds will always be a little slower than
the builds we ship (because they're not PGOed), but it would be nice if
they were at least usable. Making them faster would also make our debug
test runs in automation faster, which is a nice win! (We spend *a lot*
of CPU time running debug tests in automation.)

-Ted