On 22/09/16 17:07, Ehsan Akhgari wrote:

> What exact debug configuration is too slow for you?  People who want to
> debug C++ generally turn optimizations off, but for front-end devs, I
> think building with --enable-debug and --enable-optimize should give you
> an optimized build with the debug facilities turned on, which should be
> much faster.

At least with recent-ish gccs on Linux, --enable-optimize="-Og -g" provides
quite significant optimization but with the compiler making efforts to
retain good debuggability of the generated code.  At least with GDB it
is quite feasible to navigate around in -Og compiled code.  I use -Og a
lot; it's a good compromise.