Hi David,

Have you had any more correspondence with the W3C on Mozilla's behalf
regarding this charter?

From the Web of Things Interest Group mailing list
<https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-wot-ig/> it appears that the
group is happy to remove the dependency on RDF as suggested in our feedback
(although they claim this wasn't intended as a dependency in the first
place). Instead I understand they would like to include an extension point
in the Thing Description such that semantic annotations could be added
externally to the Thing Description specification if desired. This seems
reasonable to me.

On the point of the charter being too broad I don't think much has been
done to address this. The group still seems intent on including a
language-agnostic "scripting API" in the charter, despite Google's feedback
that the Thing Description should be the central focus of the charter and
that the scripting API should be moved to a supporting research themed
status.

I'd like to share a recommendation from the IoT platform team in Connected
Devices that the charter should include only a *Web Thing Description* with
a default JSON encoding and a *Web Thing API* which is a REST API that can
be implemented using HTTP (or HTTP/2 or CoAP). We have started to draft a
potential member submission <https://moziot.github.io/wot/> to illustrate
this proposal (this is just a skeleton at the moment, contributions welcome
on GitHub <https://github.com/moziot/wot/issues>).

With this reduced scope no scripting API should be necessary (most
programming languages already have the capability to call a REST API via
HTTP and anyone can create a helper library to call the WoT REST API). It
should also simplify the security and privacy requirements considerably
given this is a well established and well understood technology stack on
the web.

This kind of RESTful approach is already becoming a de-facto standard in
IoT (e.g. Google Weave, Apple HomeKit, Samsung SmartThings, EVRYTHNG, AWS
IoT, Azure IoT, IoTivity, AllJoyn). What's missing is a standard data model
and common API using this pattern. This is also the direction the Open
Connectivity Foundation <https://openconnectivity.org> is taking with CoAP
and their OIC specification, and the direction we expect the Mozilla IoT
Framework to take.

We'd very much like to collaborate on this specification via the W3C but
currently the charter still seems too broad and I would argue not in line
with the direction of the wider industry.

Ben