On Tuesday, January 3, 2017 at 8:38:05 PM UTC-6, Stephen A Pohl wrote:
> I can see the advantage of addons exploring and iterating on this, but
> making the first version of this API addon-accessible might
> unnecessarily delay it. If there is enough interest in this, we might
> want to start this effort in parallel and release it in a subsequent
> version.
>
> On 1/3/17 4:31 PM, Ryan VanderMeulen wrote:
> > Will this API be accessible to addons? Seems like this would be a good
> > place for people to explore and iterate.
> >
> > On 1/3/2017 12:17 PM, Stephen A Pohl wrote:
> >> We will develop[1] a solid 1.0 API around the top features to get the
> >> ball rolling and will iterate on these going forward.

Crazy idea  - we could make the touch bar only accessible through web
extensions apis, no XPCOM interface or internal api would be provided. This way
all development happens in a layer that is secure (webextensions will
eventually run in their own process and get sandboxing) and new features can be
installed and removed with little effort by our users. We have the ability to
ship system addons so we can include default features with our install. This is
more in line with our newer modular approach to features, and would give our
users much more control.. while also helping to promote web extension
development. The approach would also help cut down on code bloat and avoid
technologies we are trying to move away from like XPCOM.

</2cents>