On Wed, Jan 18, 2017 at 1:35 PM, Dirkjan Ochtman <dirk...@ochtman.nl> wrote:

> API. On the other hand, sites like caniuse.com clearly advertise that
> ServiceWorkers are available in Firefox (and Chrome), and then going
> back and not exposing that in the ESR population seems to me that in a
> sense, we break a kind of contract with web developers.

This situation already exists with 45 ESR.  Sites that hard code caniuse.com
with UA sniffing are already broken.

They are also broken in private browsing mode because we don't support
service workers there either.

Sites generally feature detect service workers because safari does not
implement them yet.  The entire API has been designed to work well with
feature detection and progressive enhancement.

> What's the rate of ServiceWorker security bugs? Do you expect that many of
> them?

I don't have exact numbers.  But there have been many uplifts for service
workers.  In general it is helpful that we have been able to mark these as
45esr:disabled.