On Sunday, March 12, 2017 at 1:23:45 AM UTC+11, smaug wrote:
> On 03/11/2017 08:23 AM, Nicholas Nethercote wrote:
> > On Sat, Mar 11, 2017 at 2:23 PM, smaug via governance <
> > gov...@lists.mozilla.org> wrote:
> >>
> >> I'd be ok to do a quick r+ if interdiff was working well.
> >
> > Depending on the relative timezones of the reviewer and reviewee, that
> > could delay landing by 24 hours or even a whole weekend.
> >
> The final r+, if it is just cosmetic changes wouldn't need to be done by the
> same reviewer.
>
> Perhaps we shouldn't even call the last step a review. It would be
> "ok-to-land".
> r+ without asking any changes would implicitly contain that "ok-to-land".
> (if rebasing causes some changes, that would then need explicit "ok-to-land")
>

> > In general there seems to be a large amount of support in this thread for
> > continuing to allow the r+-with-minor-fixes option.
>
> Yeah. I don't object that, but I also think that having final approval to
> land the patch might not really be that bad
> (assuming the tools are working well enough).
>

> > Nick

If we really want to enforce a final review to prevent unwanted code to land,
Mozilla (as a whole) will incur some costs: Reviewers spending time
re-reviewing; delays to land (worse across tz, and which could result in the
need to rebase again, and therefore another round of ok-to-land); and mounting
anger at all these papercuts.

So if Mozilla is really committed to this solution, and is ready to bear the
associated financial costs, I would suggest we recruit people who would do just
these tasks! Could be existing sheriffs, and/or volunteering peers, and/or new
staff with distinct job descriptions.

Hopefully they'd rubber-stamp 99% of last-minute changes, and only the more
complex changes would be referred back to the author and reviewer.
As a bonus they could also handle trivial autoland merge issues.

In the end it should cost a similar amount of money, but would lessen the other
costs (delays and frustration).

And while I've got the mic, a small suggestion for mozreview to help with some
of this: We need a way for the author to add a comment explaining what was done
between pushes (rebase, nit-fixing, other notes to reviewer, etc.); this
comment would only appear in Bugzilla and mozreview, not in the actual patch
commit description.
(Could be a paragraph starting with "notes-to-reviewer:", to be removed before
autolanding.)

- Gerald