On Fri, Mar 17, 2017 at 1:36 PM, Ted Mielczarek <t...@mielczarek.org> wrote:

> Back to the original topic, I recently set up a fresh Windows machine
> and I followed the same basic steps (enable performance power mode,
> whitelist a bunch of stuff in Windows Defender) and my build seemed
> basically CPU-bound[1] during the compile tier. Disabling realtime
> protection in Defender made it *slightly* better[2] but didn't have a
> large impact on the overall build time (something like 20s out of ~14m
> total for a clobber).

The 14min measurement must have been for a partial build.  With defender
disabled the best I can get is 18min.  This is on one of the new lenovo
p710 machines with 16 xeon cores.

I definitely observed periods where it was not CPU bound.  For example, at
the end of the js lib build I observed a single cl.exe process sit for ~2
minutes while no other work was being done.  I also saw link.exe take a
long time without parallelism, but i think that's a known issue.