On Fri, Mar 17, 2017 at 2:43 PM, Ted Mielczarek <t...@mielczarek.org> wrote:

> > The 14min measurement must have been for a partial build.  With defender
> > disabled the best I can get is 18min.  This is on one of the new lenovo
> > p710 machines with 16 xeon cores.
>
> Nope, full clobber builds: `./mach clobber; time ./mach build`. (I have
> the same machine, FWIW.) The svg files I uploaded were from `mach

Sorry.  I misread.  I thought you were referring to my earlier email about
dropping from 20+ minutes to 14 minutes.  My 14 minute measurement was
erroneous.  I seem to get 18 minute clobber builds.

> Yeah, I specifically meant "CPU-bound during the compile tier", where we
> compile all the C++ code. If you look at the resource usage graphs I
> posted it's pretty apparent where that is (the full `mach
> resource-usage` HTML page has a nicer breakdown of tiers). The stuff
> before and after compile is not as good, and the tail end of compile
> gets hung up on some long-pole files, but otherwise it does a pretty
> good job of saturating available CPU. I also manually monitored disk and
> memory usage during the second build, and didn't see much there. The
> disk usage showed ~5% active time, presumably mostly the compiler
> generating output, and memory usage seemed to be stable at around 9GB
> for most of the build (I didn't watch during libxul linking, I wouldn't
> be surprised if it spikes then).

That "long pole file" at the end of the js lib is over 10% of my compile
time.  That's not very good parallelism in the compile stage IMO.