On Fri, Mar 17, 2017 at 2:52 PM, Ben Kelly <bke...@mozilla.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 17, 2017 at 2:43 PM, Ted Mielczarek <t...@mielczarek.org>
> wrote:
>
> Yeah, I specifically meant "CPU-bound during the compile tier", where we
>> compile all the C++ code. If you look at the resource usage graphs I
>> posted it's pretty apparent where that is (the full `mach
>> resource-usage` HTML page has a nicer breakdown of tiers). The stuff
>> before and after compile is not as good, and the tail end of compile
>> gets hung up on some long-pole files, but otherwise it does a pretty
>> good job of saturating available CPU. I also manually monitored disk and
>> memory usage during the second build, and didn't see much there. The
>> disk usage showed ~5% active time, presumably mostly the compiler
>> generating output, and memory usage seemed to be stable at around 9GB
>> for most of the build (I didn't watch during libxul linking, I wouldn't
>> be surprised if it spikes then).
>>

> That "long pole file" at the end of the js lib is over 10% of my compile
> time.  That's not very good parallelism in the compile stage IMO.

This is the part of the build I'm talking about:

15:17.80 Unified_cpp_js_src8.cpp
15:17.90 Unified_cpp_js_src38.cpp
15:18.33 Unified_cpp_js_src40.cpp
15:19.96 Unified_cpp_js_src41.cpp
15:21.41 Unified_cpp_js_src9.cpp
16:59.13 Interpreter.cpp
16:59.15 js_static.lib
16:59.99 module.res
17:00.04 Creating Resource file: module.res
17:00.81 StaticXULComponentsStart.cpp
17:00.99 nsDllMain.cpp

For the 1:38 between Unified_cpp_js_src9.cpp and Interpreter.cpp only a
single cl.exe process is running.  I guess thats closer to 8% of the total
build time.  Still seems very weird to me.