If an extension updates to a WebExtension, users will automatically
get that update.

If the author or another author creates an alternative then a user
will have to find that.

The recommendations are being populated and other changes are being
made. For example, on September 1st only WebExtensions will be
featured on AMO (as opposed to extensions that expect to upgrade). The
recommendation tool on AMO is being populated with add-ons any
suggestions welcome as per the thread here:
https://discourse.mozilla-community.org/t/favorite-webextensions/17087.

We are specifically and consciously focusing on release here and
giving the extension developers time to upgrade their extensions.