As an offer of help, from a group whose charter covers this work, that's
very welcome. I felt that I was being shepherded into something on behalf
of others for whom I cannot speak, which was uncomfortable!

For my own sake, I am disinclined to participate in a standardization
effort outside of the usual institutions. I think we could benefit from the
experience of people who have produced web standards before. I'm not
well-connected enough yet to anticipate what folks will say, but I'll
suggest the Browser Testing Tools WG when the opportunity comes up.