There are some other alternatives that we could take here:

1. Improve the UX of autofill
  a. present the credentials to the user on visible forms when the page
loads
      - Google had a project on doing this and it never got completed. It
appears there are many issues with this solution [4].
2. Prevent autofill on third party forms
  - might not actually address the issue as advertisers are often first
party
3. Add heuristics on if the form should be autofilled
  a. Don't fill when a form isn't visible, editable etc

I also think that removing autofill aligns with the Credential Management
API, providing incentive for developers to use over having their forms
autofilled by default and that users expect their details to require an
interaction for filling.

> There's an about:config pref, as [1] points out, which does this.

My comment regarding this wasn't possible was misleading however I don't
expect the pref is discoverable to most.

[4] https://twitter.com/estark37/status/947667756400361474