On 01/01/18 20:08, Jonathan Kingston wrote:
> A recent research post[1] have highlighted the need for Firefox to disable
> autofilling of credentials. The research post suggests web trackers are
> using autofilling to track users around the web.

Autofill is restricted to same-domain (roughly) so how can they track
users "around the web"?

Other than not being cleared when cookies are cleared, how is this
technique more powerful than a cookie containing one's email address?

Autofill is an extremely, extremely convenient browser function, and the
fact that Firefox's current implementation doesn't always do the right
thing (e.g. offering me 3 choices of username and, when I pick one, 3
choices of password rather than autofilling the one which matches the
username, </grump>) is a source of regular frustration. Let's not break
the usability more.

Gerv