On Tue, Jan 9, 2018 at 8:43 AM, Gervase Markham <g...@mozilla.org> wrote:

> On 01/01/18 20:08, Jonathan Kingston wrote:
> > A recent research post[1] have highlighted the need for Firefox to
> disable
> > autofilling of credentials. The research post suggests web trackers are
> > using autofilling to track users around the web.
>
> Autofill is restricted to same-domain (roughly) so how can they track
> users "around the web"?

The third party JS is loaded into the page's context:

"Thus, third-party javascript can retrieve the saved credentials by
creating a form with the username and password fields, which will then be
autofilled by the login manager."

Other than not being cleared when cookies are cleared, how is this
> technique more powerful than a cookie containing one's email address?

Being unclearable is certainly more powerful, but it also allows
cross-correlation
between different tracking domains because the identifiers are stable.

-Ekr