Just to add one other point to this discussion:

I *hate* backouts. I don't just mean of my patches. I mean in general. Whenever I come across a backout in a blame walk or a bisect, it makes my life much more difficult. And I know I'm not alone in this.

I thought the policy for autoland was pretty reasonable when it was meant to use history rewriting to actually remove bad changesets from change history, but I haven't been a fan of it since that plan was abandoned.

If this new policy gives us open trees a slightly higher percentage of the time at the expense of winding up with more backouts for trivial ESLint bustages or one-line test fixes, I don't think it's worth it. Having to wait for trees to re-open is not a huge inconvenience to me. Dealing with mangled blame is.