On Tue, Nov 20, 2018 at 3:48 PM Honza Bambas <hbam...@mozilla.com> wrote:
> Our implementation reflects the reality we can see in the wild.  I
> believe the spec has always been wrong here, and apparently has never
> been widely respected by servers because commas may be contained in the
> challenge header values.  The spec should consider authentication as an
> exception, similarly to Set-Cookies.  This is, tho, only my opinion.

Given that intermediaries are free to combine headers (other than
Set-Cookie) that seems problematic. It also seems doable to define a
parser that acts on the combined value, but I agree that doing so
requires buy-in from others and due diligence with respect to tests
and compatibility. (Also, per
https://github.com/httpwg/http-core/issues/136 it looks like the HTTP
WG isn't close to consensus on accepting the browser status quo, if
any exists.)