I have a working impl. now and just looking at 401 is not sufficient.

The user could indeed have provided a wrong password. The only way to know, if
the 401 was caused because nsIHttpChannel did not even try to authenticate, is
by checking wether it has send a Authorization header back to the server.

If not, I can manually check the WWW-Authentication header and manually check
for BASIC and reinitiate the request and manually add the BASIC auth header.

For me it would be interesting to understand, if you consider the header send
by contacts.icloud.com to by invalid, even though it fully complies with the
spec. If i remember, the same spec is the reason why you are changing XHR to
return the list no longer as "\n" separated, but as "\," separated?