On 03/12/13 11:29, Rob Stradling wrote:
> Brian, over the years we've backdated the notBefore date on several
> Intermediate certs in order to influence which of several possible
> chains gets selected by various browsers.  PKI acrobatics is a good
> description.  It completely sucks, but it's been necessary.

Yes, we would need to permit this use case.

> I can't think of any reason why a CA would need to back-date an
> _end-entity_ certificate.  So by all means list this as a potentially
> problematic practice.

I think that's a good enhancement.

> Also, I can't think of any reason why a CA would need to _forward-date_
> any CA cert or EE cert.

Might a CA not decide, for some reason (perhaps they are doing direct
root issuance for this legacy situation, and it's a pain) to issue a
2013 cert, a 2014 cert and a 2015 cert all at the same time, and give
them to the customer, knowing that they would use the first for a year,
then the second, then the third?

Or is there no practical reason anyone might want to do this?

> I guess this is covered by Gerv's text "It
> should be a reasonable reflection of the date on which the certificate
> was issued", but it might be worth clarifying this by changing the
> heading from "Backdating the notBefore date" to something else.

How is forward dating a problematic practice?

Gerv