Gervase Markham a écrit :
Might a CA not decide, for some reason (perhaps they are doing direct
root issuance for this legacy situation, and it's a pain) to issue a
2013 cert, a 2014 cert and a 2015 cert all at the same time, and give
them to the customer, knowing that they would use the first for a year,
then the second, then the third?

Or is there no practical reason anyone might want to do this?

One year is a lot of time, but they are some scenario where it can be useful to have a slightly forward dated certificate, for example making sure it will start to be valid only *after* having been distributed to the user. My credit card works this way actually, I receive the new one around 15 days before the start of validity.