On 21/05/15 13:56, Peter Kurrasch wrote:
> ‎‎Returning to your original post, Gerv....

Thank you :-)

> So here is where the difference really lies between government and
> commercial CAs: control. Governments and, therefore, government CAs
> wield a level of control that commercial entities normally do not. They
> have the power to control who is allowed access to web sites that talk
> about evolution or climate change or plans for citizen uprisings. They
> have the ability to send agents to your home and harrass you for
> engaging in immoral acts over the internet.
>
> The power is genuinely immense, and since there is so much more at
> stake, the security analysis must be considered differently than for
> commercial CAs.

Other things governments have the power to do, which are relevant:

1) Mandate that all government websites (which, these days, citizens
   often have no option but to use) use a particular CA, such as their
   own;

2) Mandate that all websites hosted in their country use a particular
   CA, such as their own;

3) Compel a CA within their borders to issue a certificate, and not
   tell anyone.

1) and 2) are reasons why commercial pressures do not apply to
government CAs. 1) actually seems a reasonable thing for a government to
do - and it's one big reason why we have governmental CAs in the program
in the first place. 2) is, to my mind, not reasonable.

3) is sometimes given as a reason why government CAs are not all that
different from commercial CAs - "if a government CA can't misissue a
cert, they can just compel a CA to do it for them, so what's the
difference?". But I think there are several differences:

* Not all governments have the power to compel silent cert creation
  (some governments still have some ideas about civil liberties);

* Most governments do not host a CA within their borders;

* For those which do, there is sometimes a defence of severe hardship;
  if the CA knew its business would be blown up were the misissuance
  discovered, it could argue against being compelled to do so.

So while it may be possible to find a jurisdiction where there is no
effective difference between a government CA and a commercial CA hosted
there, I would say this is not true for the large majority of jurisdictions.

>> 2) "If it is different, does name-constraining government CAs make
>> things better, or not?"
>
> One situation that is addressed by name constraints is that today it's
> generally possible for any CA to issue a cert for any domain. In the
> context of a security analysis that's problematic which is why name
> constraints has its appeal.
>
> Combine that with the power of governments and add a dash of crime show
> drama cliché: motive, means, opportunity. ‎The desire--or, perhaps,
> need--to institute controls gives governments the motive. The extent to
> which governments own/operate/control the internet infrastructure (or
> other access to web sites) and are able to issue certs provides the
> means. And if any CA can issue any cert the opportunity is always there.

This is a relevant point. Without even considering motive, governments,
as opposed to commercial CAs, generally have both means and opportunity
to do MITM attacks on their citizens. A commercial CA generally does
not, although that's not entirely true, as some organizations which
control significant bits of internet infrastructure are also CAs or subCAs.

> So if a decision is made to require name constraints by a government CA
> that would have the benefit of limiting the opportunities for bad acts.
> Absent that, are there other mechanisms worth considering that would
> have a beneficial impact on the motive, means, opportunity formula? One
> example that comes to mind is separating cert issuance with control of
> the infrastructure.

I can see the superficial attractiveness of this, although I think that
it would have significantly greater definitional issues than "what is a
government CA?" How do you decide whether a company has enough control
of infrastructure that they can't be a CA? Do you consider local or only
international factors? What if they are a CA, and they grow - do you
have to stop trusting them? And so on.

Gerv