On Tue, Mar 8, 2016 at 4:58 PM, Andrew Ayer <a...@andrewayer.name> wrote:

> [...]
> Raw responder cert:
> https://www.agwa.name/misc/ocsp_collisions/sha1/acedicom-response.crt
> Responder cert text:
> https://crt.sh/?q=071fa8b9e12a9632cfcb5c7e2b96ab318ccb40591713d5f914834b682d481b45
>
> Once a chosen-prefix attack on SHA-1 becomes viable, it will be possible
> to forge a trusted CA:TRUE certificate by creating a collision with
> an OCSP response from one of these two responders.  This attack can be
> performed without a CA having to issue a SHA-1 certificate, or do
> anything that currently violates the BRs or Mozilla policy.  In fact,
> exploiting a collision against an OCSP responder is much easier than
> exploiting a collision against the certificate issuance process.  You
> can exploit it completely anonymously, you don't have to predict the
> serial number, and you have plenty of room for collision bits instead
> of having to smuggle them in the CSR's public key.  The OCSP response
> is so predictable that an attacker could predict it months in advance,
> allowing plenty of time to compute the collision.  In contrast, it took
> Stevens et al four attempts to predict even a sequential serial number
> when they forged their MD5 cert in 2008, and they spent hundreds of
> dollars on certs in the process.
>
> As a proof of concept, I have created an OCSP response and a CA:TRUE
> certificate which share the same MD5 signature:
>
> OCSP response:
> https://www.agwa.name/misc/ocsp_collisions/md5/poc-response.ocsp
> OCSP response text:
> https://www.agwa.name/misc/ocsp_collisions/md5/poc-response.txt
> Rogue certificate:
> https://www.agwa.name/misc/ocsp_collisions/md5/poc-rogue.crt
> Rogue certificate text:
> https://www.agwa.name/misc/ocsp_collisions/md5/poc-rogue.txt
> Root cert: https://www.agwa.name/misc/ocsp_collisions/md5/poc-root.crt
>
> Although this uses MD5 and my own root CA, it demonstrates that the
> OCSP format is amenable to chosen-prefix attacks, particularly with the
> attacker-controlled nonce and the very predictable prefix.  We should
> therefore be concerned about the risk of OCSP responders which use
> SHA-1 and support nonces.
>
> I have thought of a few ways to address the risk:
>
> 1. Forbid the use of SHA-1 to sign OCSP responses, effective as soon
> as possible (consider that signing certificates with SHA-1 has been
> forbidden since January 1, 2016).
>
> 2. Forbid OCSP nonces.  OCSP nonces are optional in practice and it's
> always risky to sign arbitrary attacker-controlled data.  Or, limit
> nonces to 32 bytes, which is long enough for an anti-replay nonce
> but probably too short to exploit a chosen-prefix attack.
>
> 3. Require the use of a technically-constrained OCSP responder
> certificate when doing online signing of OCSP responses.  This seems
> like a good security practice anyways, and most CAs are already doing
> this.  However, OCSP responses could still be forged.

First, thanks for the excellent write-up.  The MD5 collisions are a nice
touch :)

I would note that we could also combine these responses.  For example, we
might require that CAs retire SHA-1 for OCSP with a long-ish horizon, but
require them to use constrained OCSP certs basically ASAP.

Of course, if we could just turn off SHA-1 for OCSP, that would be
fantastic.  Do any CAs on the list know of blockers on making this switch
basically now?  E.g., are there client stacks that support SHA-2 for
verification, but not for OCSP?  (Firefox is obviously fine for both.)

--Richard