From: dev-security-policy
[mailto:dev-security-policy-bounces+mads.henriksveen=buypass...@lists.mozilla.org]
 On Behalf Of Andrew Ayer
Sent: 8. mars 2016 22:58
To: mozilla-dev-security-pol...@lists.mozilla.org
Subject: OCSP Responders Are An Attack Vector For SHA-1 Collisions

As we all know, the Baseline Requirements forbid signing certificates with
SHA-1 after January 1, 2016.  However, both the BRs and Mozilla policy are
silent on the topic of OCSP response signatures[1].
Theoretically, CAs could continue to sign OCSP responses with SHA-1
indefinitely. Indeed, among the 869 distinct OCSP responder URLs referenced in
CT logs, 351 sign responses with SHA-1 (as of March 5, 2016).

([1] The BRs forbid SHA-1 for signing "certificates to verify OCSP responses"
after January 1, 2017, but I take that to mean the signature on the OCSP
responder's certificate, not the OCSP responses themselves.)

Of those 351 responders, 209 will include an attacker-controlled nonce of
arbitrary length in the signed response (I tested with up to 1kb nonces). This
creates a condition *extremely* favorable for a chosen-prefix attack. The first
~200 bytes of the hash input are trivially predictable (the only variable parts
are the "Produced At", "This Update", and "Next Update" fields, which are all
based on the current time).  This prefix is followed by the entirely
attacker-controlled nonce.  An attacker can predict the prefix and stash the
collision bits in the nonce to create a collision with another preimage, such
as a certificate.

Fortunately, the majority of those responders sign responses using a
certificate that is restricted by ExtendedKeyUsage to OCSP signing, so the
worst that an attacker could do is forge OCSP responses.  However, I found two
responders that sign responses using CA:TRUE certificates that are trusted for
server auth in NSS:

1. http://ocsp.buypass.no/ocsp/BPClass2CA1 signs responses with a root
certificate ("Buypass Class 2 CA 1") trusted for server auth in NSS.
There is no path length constraint.

Raw request:
https://www.agwa.name/misc/ocsp_collisions/sha1/buypass-response.ocsp
Request text:
https://www.agwa.name/misc/ocsp_collisions/sha1/buypass-response.txt
Raw responder cert:
https://www.agwa.name/misc/ocsp_collisions/sha1/buypass-response.crt
Responder cert text:
https://crt.sh/?q=0f4e9cdd264b025550d170806340214fe94434c9b02f697ec710fc5feafb5e38

2. http://ocsp.acedicom.edicomgroup.com/servidores signs responses with an
intermediate cert which chains up to "ACEDICOM Root".  There are no path length
constraints in the chain.

Raw request:
https://www.agwa.name/misc/ocsp_collisions/sha1/acedicom-response.ocsp
Request text:
https://www.agwa.name/misc/ocsp_collisions/sha1/acedicom-response.txt
Raw responder cert:
https://www.agwa.name/misc/ocsp_collisions/sha1/acedicom-response.crt
Responder cert text:
https://crt.sh/?q=071fa8b9e12a9632cfcb5c7e2b96ab318ccb40591713d5f914834b682d481b45

Once a chosen-prefix attack on SHA-1 becomes viable, it will be possible to
forge a trusted CA:TRUE certificate by creating a collision with an OCSP
response from one of these two responders.  This attack can be performed
without a CA having to issue a SHA-1 certificate, or do anything that currently
violates the BRs or Mozilla policy.  In fact, exploiting a collision against an
OCSP responder is much easier than exploiting a collision against the
certificate issuance process.  You can exploit it completely anonymously, you
don't have to predict the serial number, and you have plenty of room for
collision bits instead of having to smuggle them in the CSR's public key.  The
OCSP response is so predictable that an attacker could predict it months in
advance, allowing plenty of time to compute the collision.  In contrast, it
took Stevens et al four attempts to predict even a sequential serial number
when they forged their MD5 cert in 2008, and they spent hundreds of dollars on c
 erts in the process.

As a proof of concept, I have created an OCSP response and a CA:TRUE
certificate which share the same MD5 signature:

OCSP response: https://www.agwa.name/misc/ocsp_collisions/md5/poc-response.ocsp
OCSP response text:
https://www.agwa.name/misc/ocsp_collisions/md5/poc-response.txt
Rogue certificate: https://www.agwa.name/misc/ocsp_collisions/md5/poc-rogue.crt
Rogue certificate text:
https://www.agwa.name/misc/ocsp_collisions/md5/poc-rogue.txt
Root cert: https://www.agwa.name/misc/ocsp_collisions/md5/poc-root.crt

Although this uses MD5 and my own root CA, it demonstrates that the OCSP format
is amenable to chosen-prefix attacks, particularly with the attacker-controlled
nonce and the very predictable prefix.  We should therefore be concerned about
the risk of OCSP responders which use
SHA-1 and support nonces.

I have thought of a few ways to address the risk:

1. Forbid the use of SHA-1 to sign OCSP responses, effective as soon as
possible (consider that signing certificates with SHA-1 has been forbidden
since January 1, 2016).

2. Forbid OCSP nonces.  OCSP nonces are optional in practice and it's always
risky to sign arbitrary attacker-controlled data.  Or, limit nonces to 32
bytes, which is long enough for an anti-replay nonce but probably too short to
exploit a chosen-prefix attack.

3. Require the use of a technically-constrained OCSP responder certificate when
doing online signing of OCSP responses.  This seems like a good security
practice anyways, and most CAs are already doing this.  However, OCSP responses
could still be forged.

What do others think?

Regards,
Andrew

P.S. This underscores a point which I have made several times on this list in
the last month: with a chosen-prefix attack, the forged certificate need not
look anything like the data which the CA signs. As I've demonstrated here, a CA
can sign an OCSP response that can be turned into a certificate.  This is why
various proposals like revoking certificates, embedding a poison extension, or
blacklisting based on the notBefore date do absolutely nothing to address the
risk of SHA-1:
a forged certificate--the certificate that clients need to reject--won't have
any of the markings (serial number, poison extension, notBefore date) that the
CA placed in the "legitimate" SHA-1 certificate. It's also why it's so
important that *anything* signed by a CA that is trusted for server auth be
in-scope for the BRs and Mozilla Policy, as Ryan, Rob, and I have said[2].

([2]
https://www.mail-archive.com/dev-security-policy%40lists.mozilla.org/msg02994.html)