On Wed, 27 Apr 2016 23:46:25 -0700 (PDT)
sanjay_m...@symantec.com wrote:

> We have a technical control in place for systems that issue S/MIME
> certs in this CA hierarchy.  Our systems use static cert templates
> from which end-entity certs are issued. Those templates include an
> EKU value, but do not use the serverAuth or anyExtendedKeyUsage
> values.

What hash algorithm is used to sign these end-entity certificates?  As
I've explained before, a chosen-prefix attack can be used to turn any
bit of signed data (such as an S/MIME certificate, or even an OCSP
response) into a certificate with a serverAuth EKU value.

This is why the EKU needs to be in the CA certificate and not just the
end-entity cert, and why it's essential that sub-CAs like this one be
disclosed.  Mozilla policy does not and should not provide an exception
for sub-CAs that are capable of certifying serverAuth certificates but
promise not to.

Regards,
Andrew