On 19/05/16 20:26, Peter Kurrasch wrote:
> My recommendation is for Mozilla to reject this request from Symantec
> on the grounds that it is unnecessary. As others have pointed out
> recently, the chief function of a CA is to certify identity. That
> certification should be ably met with the regular cert issuance
> procedures rendering the EV procedures superfluous.

You have this the wrong way around. Mozilla's position (de facto, I
guess) is that anything short of EV is not sufficient validation of
identity. Which is why we don't present it in the UI. So yes, an
important function of a CA is to certify identity, and that's precisely
why we have EV.

> That, or perhaps
> the CA knows of certain weaknesses in the regular identification
> process that have been remedied for the EV process? Perhaps EV is a
> way of saying, "No, seriously you guys, this time we really, really
> identified the cert applicant."

You would need to ask individual CAs about the way that they market and
validate their non-EV certificates which purport to contain identity
information. (They usually call this "OV".)

Gerv