On Tuesday, 24 May 2016 04:29:10 UTC+1, sanja...@symantec.com  wrote:
> We used SHA1 and SHA2 in signing algorithm to sign end-entity SMIME
> certificates. SHA2 is the current practice for new end-entity SMIME
> certificates. We will be stopping SHA1 ICA usage by the end of 2016 for
> SMIME. We plan to use a new ICA that has a compliant EKU to issue SMIME
> certificates by the end of 2016.

Thanks Sanjay. This timetable is relatively good news, I hope you will keep
Mozilla informed if it slips. Where Symantec do issue SHA-1 signed S/MIME
today, are there measures in place to ensure chosen prefix attacks are harder
through some contents of the certificate being unpredictable to the subscriber,
particularly random bits in the serial number field?