In the case of a DV certificate it's exactly what it says, validating
the ownership of a domain, and nothing more. While users _may believe_
that TLS is supposed to protect them from malware, hackers, or
'untrustworthy' sites in general _it is not_. TLS exists to encrypt the
connection between a client and a server.

What users expect, because of poor wording by people conveying the use
of TLS in the past (I think we are all probably a bit guilty of
perpetuating this error), should not dictate how CAs actually operate.

On 05/17/2016 12:36 PM, Peter Gutmann wrote:
> Hubert Kario <hka...@redhat.com> writes:
>
>> then users expect impossible
>
> Users expect CAs to be something other than certificate vending machines. The
> fact that CAs fail to do this is a problem with browser PKI and CAs, not with
> users.
>
> (There have been numerous cases of security people reporting CA-certified
> phishing and malware sites to the CAs that did it.  The general response has
> been "not our problem, they paid their money and we gave them a cert".  So
> even if you tell the CA, they're likely not going to fix it).
>
> Peter.

Roland Bracewell Shoemaker
Software Engineer
Linux Foundation / Internet Security Research Group