On Sun, Sep 04, 2016 at 09:49:25AM +0000, Richard Wang wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> We finished the investigation and released the incidents report today:
> https://www.wosign.com/report/wosign_incidents_report_09042016.pdf
>
> This report has 20 pages, please let me if you still have any questions,
> thanks.

Hi Richard,

About incident 0 in the report, it says:

  We investigated each certificates to think it is no necessary to
  revoke these certificates.

Can you please explain how you investigated those and why you
think it's not needed to revoke them?

I also don't understand what you're trying to explain in 2.2.  I
think what it says is that the procedure used to be:
- Someone requests a certificates
- You do validation tests on an initial list of hostnames
- Before he actually submits his request he can modify the list of
  hostnames
- You don't do any validation tests anymore
- You issue the certificate
- Someone manually checks it because github is on the list
  of domains that needs manual review
- The manual review notices that only part of it is validated
- The manual review then asks for revocation
- The revocation process needs an other person to review it
- It informs that subscriber that it's been revoked
- The real revocation happens later by a 3rd person

Is that an accurate description of the problem?

I see 2 problems with this:
- There was a bug that the list of hostnames could be
  modified without revalidating them, and this was fixed on
  August 10, 2015.
- The manual review only happens after the certificate is already
  issued, instead of before issuing it.

In 2.3 you describe that if you sign up for "wosogn.com" (I guess
you mean wosign.com) you get "www.wosign.com" for free and don't
validate it.  But the screenshot of the misissued domains are all
without the "www" prefix.  That is, "www.wosign.com" would be
validated but "wosign.com" wasn't validated.  My understanding is
that if you sign up for "foo.example.com" you get "example.com" too
without validating it, and it's not related to "www".

You indicate that this was also fixed on August 10, 2015, but then
still changed something on August 27, 2016, and it's not clear to
me what you changed.

In 3.2 you describe something about StartCom and WoSign using the
same script but use a different ID.  You describe that there was a
bug you that you deleted. I assume that this is that the POST
doesn't allow to set the caID anymore.  But the document does not
describe why that results in backdated SHA-1 certificates at all.
I see several issues with this:
- It allowed to use a different CA than it should
- Software that was supposed to be stopped using was still
  able to issue certificates
- The software for some reason uses the date it was supposed to be
  stopped from using, instead of the current date.  Was this
  software modified for some reason?

And from what I understand, only the first of those is fixed.

You also describe that it's going to be replaced by ACME, but I
don't see how this relevant or would prevent any of this.

(There is also a SAH1 instead of SHA1 typo.)

PS: I'm unsure why you cross out all those Mozilla, Google and
WoSign address.  I can perfectly recoginize the person in all
those cases.  If you really want to cross them out, please do it
properly.

Kurt