I think these are both good points and my recommendation is that Mozilla deny GDCA's request for inclusion.

We should not have to explain something as basic as document versioning and version control. If GDCA can not demonstrate sufficient controls over their documentation, there is no reason for the Internet community to place confidence in any of the other versioning systems that are needed to operate a CA.

Question: Are auditors expected to review translations of CP or CPS docs and verify consistency between them?

From: Jakob Bohm
Sent: Saturday, October 22, 2016 9:07 AM
To: mozilla-dev-security-pol...@lists.mozilla.org
Subject: Re: Guang Dong Certificate Authority (GDCA) root inclusion request

On 21/10/2016 10:38, Han Yuwei wrote:

> I think this is a major mistake and a investgation should be conducted for CPS is a critical document about CA. This is not just a translation problem but a version control problem. Sometimes it can be lying.

Let me try to be more specific:

When publishing a document called CPS version 4.3 the document with
that number must have the same contents in all languages that have a
document with that name and version number.

When making any change, even just correcting a mistyped URL, the
document becomes a new document version which should have a new and
larger number than the number of the document before the change.
Thus when a published document refers to a broken URL on your own
server, it is often cheaper to repair the server than to publish a new
document version. Some of the oldest CAs have been proudly
publishing their various important files at multiple URLs corresponding
to whatever was mentioned in old CP and CPS documents etc., only
shutting down those URLs years after the corresponding CA roots were
shut down.

There can also be a "draft" document which has no number and which
contains the changes that will go into the next numbered edition. Such
a "draft" would have no official significance, as it has not been
officially "published". For a well-planned change, the final "draft"
would be translated and checked into the relevant languages (e.g.
Chinese with mainland writing system, Chinese with Hong Kong and Macao
Special Administrative Regions old writing system, English), before
simultaneously publishing the matching documents with the same number
on the same day.

There are infinitely many version numbers in the universe to choose
from. There are also computer programs that can generate new version
numbers every time a draft is changed, but computers cannot decide when
a version is good enough in all languages to make an official
publication, and the computer generated version numbers are often
impractical for publication because they count all the small steps that
were not published.

Enjoy

Jakob
--
Jakob Bohm, CIO, Partner, WiseMo A/S. https://www.wisemo.com
Transformervej 29, 2860 Søborg, Denmark. Direct +45 31 13 16 10