On Monday, 14 November 2016 16:57:20 UTC, Jakob Bohm  wrote:
> If this is the only privacy mechanism in 6962bis, I would suggest that
> everyone not employed by either Google or another mass-monitoring
> service block its adoption on human rights grounds and on the basis of
> being a mass-attack on network security.

Whereas I would say almost the precise opposite, the Web PKI is a _public_
resource, if you don't want your certificates to be examined by the _public_
then you are in the wrong place and need to look into a private CA. Redaction
has no place in public CT logs. If a private CA wants to operate redacted logs
in which everything is too murky to make any useful conclusions about anything
they're welcome to do just that.

Even from this very limited perspective of protecting a subscriber from
themselves, redaction falls down badly as I explained in my posts when Chromium
mooted what redaction policies should be accepted earlier this year.

The snooping argument amounts to very little. If you were paying attention to
CT logs when greatagain.gov was launched, or if you really stare hard at all
the new certificates logged for the .gov TLD you will have discovered what
Hillary's transition site would have been called. But amid a media saturated
with wall-to-wall with US election news, focusing on even the tiniest slivers
of new information, nobody even mentioned it. Not because the White House staff
have some elite redaction technology that allowed them keep it off the record
but because it's just not that interesting.