Thank you for undertaking this investigation Doug and for sharing what you
found. I am glad to hear that GlobalSign had taken action to make similar
issuances less likely in the future even before Andrew reported this.

In hindsight probably it would have been helpful to suggest to all members of
Mozilla's root programme that they consider whether they needed one or more
such "test domains" as the rules on DNS name validation have gradually
tightened.

The existence of lists of "prevetted domains" for managed service accounts
doubtless streamlines things considerably for valuable large corporate
customers, but it does open up some additional vulnerability compared to a
simpler model in which everything is vetted each time. I hope GlobalSign has
policies in place to mitigate that vulnerability.