On Thu, Mar 23, 2017 at 8:37 AM, Peter Kurrasch via dev-security-policy <

> ‎I would be interested in knowing why Google felt it necessary to purchase
> an existing root instead of, for example, pursuing a "new root" path along
> the lines of what Let's Encrypt did? All I could gather from the Google
> security blog is that they really want to be a root CA and to do it in a
> hurry. ‎Why the need to do it quickly, especially given the risks (attack
> surface)?

Clarification: I'm not speaking on behalf of Google

I think this demonstrates a lack of understanding of what Let's Encrypt
did. Let's Encrypt obtained a cross-signed certificate (from IdenTrust),
which is "purchasing" a signature for their key. This is one approach.
Purchasing a pre-existing signature (and key) is another. They are
functionally equivalent.

So what Google has done is what is what Let's Encrypt did.