On 20/06/2017 09:05, Ryan Sleevi wrote:
On Mon, Jun 19, 2017 at 7:01 PM, Jakob Bohm via dev-security-policy <

NSS until fairly recently was in fact used for code signing of Firefox
extensions using the public PKI (this is why there is a defunct code
signing trust bit in the NSS root store).

This is not an accurate representation on why there is a code signing trust
bit in the NSS root store.

Then what is an accurate representation?

I am of cause aware that before the xpi format was even invented,
Netscape, Mozilla and Sun/Oracle used the NSS key store and possibly the
NSS code to validate signatures on Java applets.  But I am unsure if and
when they stopped doing that.

I also believe that the current checking of "AMO" signatures is still
done by NSS, but not using the public PKI.

If you mean with respect to code, sure, but that is a generic signature
checking.

Really?  I would have thought it was the same validation code previously
used for public PKI signatures on the same file types.

Anyway, it is most certainly checking signatures on code in a way
consistent with the general concept of "code signing" (the exact
placement and formatting of "code signing" signatures is extremely
vendor and file format dependent).

This makes it completely reasonable for other users of the NSS libraries
to still use it for code signing, provided that the "code signing" trust
bits in the NSS root store are replaced with an independent list,
possibly based on the CCADB.

This is not correct. The NSS team has made it clear the future of this code
with respect to its suitability as a generic "code signing" functionality -
that is, that it is not.

Pointer?

Was this communicated in a way visible to all NSS using software?

It also makes it likely that systems with long development / update
cycles have not yet deployed their own replacement for the code signing
trust bits in the NSS root store, even if they have a semi-automated
system importing changes to the NSS root store.  That would of cause be
a mistake on their part, but a very likely mistake.

This was always a mistake, not a recent one. But a misuse of the API does
not make a valid use case.

How was it a mistake back when Mozilla was using NSS for "code signing"?
(Whenever that was).

P.S.

I am following the newsgroup, no need to CC me on replies.

Enjoy

Jakob