On Monday, 16 October 2017 23:15:51 UTC+1, Jakob Bohm  wrote:
> They have also obfuscated their test by providing bitmasks as decimal
> bigints instead of using hexadecimal or any other format that makes the
> bitmasks human readable.

The essential fingerprinting trick comes down to this (I had to work all this
out while I was discussing it with Let's Encrypt's @cpu yesterday):

Infineon RSA moduli have weird properties, when you divide them by some (but
not all) small primes the remainder isn't zero (which would be instantly fatal
to security) but is heavily biased. For example when divided by 11 the
remainder is always 1 or 10.

The bitmasks are effectively lists of expected remainders for each small prime,
if your modulus has an expected remainder for all the 20+ small primes that
distinguish Infineon, there's a very high chance it was generated using their
hardware, although it isn't impossible that it was selected by other means. The
authors could give firm numbers but I have estimated the false positive rate as
no more than 1-in 2 million. If any of the remainders are "wrong" then your
keys weren't generated using this Infineon library, there is no "false
negative" rate.

I believe the November paper will _not_ announce a new category of RSA weak
keys, but instead will describe how to get better than chance rates of guessing
RSA private key bits from the public modulus _if_ the key was generated using
Infineon's library. Such knowledge can be leveraged into a cost effective
attack using existing known techniques.