> However, I don't believe "technically correct, but intentionally
misleading" information should be included in certificates.  The question
is how best to accomplish that.

How would you determine what's misleading, and what isn't? As mentioned,
the Stripe, Inc of Kentucky could present an image of a legitimate company
in a completely different field as the better known Stripe, Inc of Delaware
(which, most people would associate with California based on where their
offices are). There's no way to know what the intended future use of the
company is, or just how legitimate the intentions of those behind it are.

In a larger sense, and to the question that Ryan raises, what value has the
EV UI treatment added? In the case of Safari, it's clear that it's actually
quite harmful to a normal user. In the case of Firefox, it's likely that
the UI treatment would add confusion as a result of the legitimately issued
certificate to Stripe, Inc of Kentucky. Instead of adding value, adding
some type of assurance, all that the UI treatment has done is make it more
likely that the user will make an unfortunate mistake - a mistake they
likely wouldn't have made if they were focused on the URL instead of the
business name displayed.

Adding the state would likely add no value, as most users would have no
idea where a business is incorporated - and this is often different from
where their offices are known to be, adding an additional level of
confusion. There is also the unrelated DBA issue, where the certificate is
issued to a company name that isn't familiar to the user, which is yet
another way the UI treatment adds confusion.

While EV validation rules could be changed to make the rules more strict,
locking new businesses out, all it does is slow the process down - it
doesn't actually prevent name collisions which could be harmful.

I have long felt that the EV UI treatment is unwarranted, and I still do
today. Removing the treatment from EV certificates, as it doesn't actually
add enough value to be justified, still seems to be the correct decision to
me.