On Wed, Feb 28, 2018 at 9:37 AM, Jeremy Rowley via dev-security-policy
<dev-security-policy@lists.mozilla.org> wrote:
> Once we were alerted, the team kicked
> off a debate that I wanted to bring to the CAB Forum. Basically, our
> position is that resellers do not constitute subscribers under the Baseline
> Requirement's definitions (Section 1.6.1). As such, we needed to confirm
> that either the key was compromised or that they revocation was authorized
> by the domain holder (the subscriber) prior to revoking the certificate. The
> certificates were not alleged as compromised at that time.

> This raises a question about the MDSP policy and CAB Forum requirements. Who
> is the subscriber in the reseller relation?  We believe this to be the key
> holder. However, the language is unclear. I think we followed the letter and
> spirit of the BRs here, but I'd like feedback, perhaps leading to a ballot
> that clarifies the subscriber in a reseller relationship.

For certs with subject identity information (commonly called IV, OV,
and EV certs), there is no question about the subscriber.  The
Subscriber is the entity identified in the subject: "The Subject is
either the Subscriber or a device under the control and operation of
the Subscriber."

For certificates without subject identity information (DV
certificates), the certificate does not list the subscriber.  However
the CA clearly knows the subscriber, as the subscriber is the "natural
person or Legal Entity to whom a Certificate is issued and who is
legally bound by a Subscriber Agreement or Terms of Use"

In some cases the "reseller" might be the subscriber if the reseller
is a hosting company and is the one that accepts the subscriber
agreement but in the traditional reseller model their customer is the
subscriber as the reseller's customer is the one accepting the
subscriber agreement.

Given that DigiCert appears to have contact information for the
Trustico customers, that suggests that the Trustico customer is likely
the subscriber, but looking at IV/OV/EV certificates (if any) should
tell for sure.

Thanks,
Peter